Hughes 9502 BGAN M2M Two Piece Terminal
Hughes 9502 BGAN M2M Satellite Data Management Terminal- Two Piece
The world’s most cost-effective, all-IP BGAN machine-to-machine satellite terminal with exceptionally low power consumption.
The Hughes 9502 BGAN Terminal is a high-speed satellite terminal that uses the BGAN M2M service, and was designed for remote M2M or SCADA monitoring and control. The Hughes terminal delivers affordable, global, end-to-end IP data connectivity enabling applications in industry sectors such as environmental monitoring, SmartGrid, pipeline monitoring, compressor monitoring, well site automation, video surveillance, and out-of-band management to primary site communications.
The new M2M service does not bill for overhead data related to establishing or reestablishing a connection to the BGAN satellite network, keeping service costs extremely lower than traditional BGAN services for low-bandwidth applications. This breakthrough provides end-to-end IP connectivity to power-challenged locations that rely upon solar battery arrays involving sensitive power budgets.
A laptop is convenient for pointing the Hughes 9502, however it is not required. Many installations may be in awkward locations, such as on a pole or building side. In these cases, a pair of headphones use the audio port of the 9502 for and audible signal strength tone for pointing. We recommend the Huges 9502 be configured to operate with connected equipment prior to remote installation. So during installation, the only action required is mounting and pointing. Excellent for non-trained personnel, or for installers who don’t wish to contend with a laptop.
The Hughes 9502 includes 10 meters of RF cabling, granting the user freedom to position the antenna remotely and away from the transceiver in complex installations while securing the SIM card inside a premise or enclosure to better protect against unauthorized use, theft, and vandalism.
Future firmware releases would be uncommon, meanwhile any such modem update will qualify for no charge over-the-air (OTA) upgrades saving customers time and money.
All-IP Based Machine-To-Machine (M2M) BGAN Terminal.
Hughes 9502 is Available Four Styles: All identical in operation
- Standard One-Piece: Do not requires enclosure for the 9502 transceiver since it’s mounted behind the antenna.
- Standard, One-Piece (C1-D2) Complaint: Designed for hazardous locations such as petroleum refineries, and gasoline dispensing areas where flammable safety is the main concern. This 9502 operates identically to the standard 9502 terminal.
- Standard, Two-Piece: Comes in two pieces with external antenna
- Standard, Two-Piece (C1-D2) Complaint,: Designed for hazardous locations such as petroleum refineries, and gasoline dispensing areas where flammable safety is the main concern. This 9502 operates identically to the standard 9502 terminal.
- IP Watchdog Option – This unique feature has the terminal “ping” an external IP address. If “ping” is not successful, the terminal will automatically reboot itself.
- “Always On” – When a connected device communicates through the 9502, the data will be sent. No special wake-up operation is needed when using this feature.
- Security Options: BGAN M2M traffic Control Service – You decide what traffic is able to go in and out of the BGAN M2M Network. BGAN VPN or Private Network – Will make remote devices inaccessible from the internet since they do not have a routable IP address.
- No charge over-the-air modem software upgrades
- Exclusive airtime packages unique to the Hughes 9502
- No connection charge with BGAN M2M (normal BGAN charge is 100 Kbytes) Minimum CDRs only 1 Kbyte (normal BGAN charge is 10 Kbytes)
- Integrated IP Watchdog to ensure “always-on” network connectivity. No manual intervention required to recover from an outage
- Auto-on/auto-context activation automatically restores power and PDP connection to itself following loss of power and/or IP connection
- Remote control via SMS—remote management platform for command and control to the terminal using SMS, including configuration, debugging, and access to Web interface
- Relay mode passes WAN IP address to the connected RTU
- Security enhancements with extended layers of embedded security options
- Basic installation; no PC required Outdoor unit (ODU) can be pole mounted
- Indoor unit (IDU) is housed inside building or the remote terminal unit (RTU) Built-in GPS receiver
- XL compliant
- Transmit: < 20 W
- Narrow beam w/o transmit: 3 W Q Idle (regional beam): < 1 W
- Off (wake on packet): < 10 mW (@ 12 Vdc)
- Off (wake on packet): < 30 mW (@ 24 Vdc)
- Off (GPIO control): 0 W
- Ethernet connection (RJ45)
- USB–Type B for connection to configuration PC
- RS-232 (DB9) to external NMEA 0183-based GNSS device (e.g., GLONASS receiver)
- TNC connection on the IDU to the external antenna
Box Contents for Hughes 9502 BGAN M2M Terminal
Hughes 9502 BGAN M2M Terminal (IDU)
10 meters RF antenna cable
Class 2 External antenna (ODU)
Accessories – Not Included
- 9502 Basic Fix Mount Kit: Used to mount 9502 external antenna. Includes: Fix mount stand, ground cable, level, and installation guide.
- 9502 IDU Strap: Used for permanently mounting the Hughes 9502 IDU
- Antenna azimuth elevation bracket: Used to mount the external antenna or NEMA 4X enclosure onto a 1.6” or 2.0″diameter pole
System & Coverage
The Inmarsat network is also a global system and consists of 3 Geosynchronous (Stationary, or Fixed in one position) satellites set on the equator thousands of miles above the earth. Because of the fact that the satellites are GEO, or fixed satellites, which means that they do not move from their set position, whereas LEO satellites are constantly moving. This makes it so that the equipment needs to be pointed directly at the satellite to register on the network.
Standard HNS 9502 Two Piece: 3500509-0001
C1/D2 compliant HNS 9502 Two Piece: 3500509‐0004
Satellite Transmit Frequency
Satellite Receive Frequency
1.2 Kg (2.64 lbs)
150 mm x 200 mm x 45 mm
1.9 Kg (4.18 lbs)
385 mm x 385 mm x 33 mm
-40° C to +75° C
-55° C to +75° C
95% RH at +40° C
ODU Wind Loading
Survival wind loading (with optional mount) up to 100 mph
IDU Water and Dust
ODU Water and Dust
+12 Vdc/+24 Vdc nominal
Firmware Upgrades: Over the air or local